Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 457) Document Checklist For Visa Applicants

12 Jan Temporary Work Visa (Subclass 457) Document Checklist For Visa Applicants

Why attaching supporting documents is important?

You must provide documents to prove the claims you make in your application for a subclass 457 visa. Your application might be decided solely on the basis of the information you provide when you lodge the application. Failure to provide all necessary documentation or to answer all questions on the application form fully and accurately might result in your application being assessed without us asking you for any further documents.

To lodge a complete application you should attach scanned copies of any associated original documents through your ImmiAccount as part of the online application process. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

If you are already in Australia and need to lodge your application before you have all the required documentation, you should attach an explanation to your application as to why you have been unable to obtain the documentation prior to lodging the application.

Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.​​​


Documents about your occupation and skills

  • A 457 Skills Assessment conducted by a registered training organisation approved by Trades Recognition Australia, if required (more information can be found on the Trades Recognition Australia website).
  • If you were nominated in either the occupation Project and Program Administrator or Specialist Manager not elsewhere classified: a VETASSESS Skills Assessment for General Professional Occupations. You cannot use the results of a VETASSESS Qualifications-only skills assessment obtained for a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa application.
  • Qualification certificates (professional and educational).
  • Registration, licensing or professional membership, if required. Documents from the relevant Australian registration and licensing authorities that show you hold, or will be able to meet, necessary registration and licensing requirements. The documents must specify both of the following:
    • the type of registration or licensing held
    • the name and contact details for the registration or licensing authority.
  • References from previous employers that cover a period sufficient to demonstrate the relevant skill level (refer to ANZSCO code related information at the Australian Bureau of Statistics website for expected minimum period of experience relevant to the nominated occupation). These should be on the letterhead of the employer and include:
    • the name, title and contact details of the referee
    • details of your position and dates of service.
  • Your curriculum vitae (CV) or resumé, covering at least the last five years and showing:
    • full employment and educational history
    • dates and positions held
    • the name, title and contact details of referees.
  • Documents to show your level of English language proficiency, including:
    • IELTS test results (must meet English language requirements)
    • OET test results (must meet English language requirements)
    • Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) results (must meet English language requirements)
    • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test results (must meet English language requirements)
    • Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test results (must meet English language requirements and the test must have been conducted on or after 1 January 2015)
  • If you are seeking an exemption from the English language requirement on the basis of completion of five years of study at a secondary or higher institution where the instruction was in English, you must provide the following information:
    • name and location of the institution/s
    • level of qualification/s
    • official transcript from the secondary or tertiary institution
    • number of contact hours of instruction per week delivered in English
    • number of years of study.

Personal documents

Your identity

  • Copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder’s photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • If there are any differences in the names or dates of birth of anyone included in your application between birth certificate, passport, the application form, or other supporting documentation: evidence of how the change occurred (for example, deed poll certificate or statutory declaration for minor variations).

Dependant applicants

  • For all dependant applicants, where applicable, scanned copies of full birth certificates and a full marriage certificate.
  • If you have a spouse, a certified copy of your marriage certificate
  • If you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that you are in the relationship (for example, if there are children of the relationship as evidenced by a previously provided birth certificate, no further evidence would be required)
  • Other evidence would include
    • joint bank account statements showing a history of transactions
    • billing accounts in joint names
    • statutory declarations from third parties (particularly from independent third parties who have dealt with you as a couple over time, for example real estate agent for your rental, tax agent, neighbour)
    • Children and all other family members:
      • proof of their relationship to you (if birth certificates and marriage certificates are not available, an explanation of why they are not, should be provided with the best available secondary evidence of the relationship)
      • if the child is not the biological child of any parent who is part of the application, evidence of the lawful adoption of that child
    • Evidence of financial dependency for all your family members aged 18 or older:
      • proof that they live in your household (for example, their driver’s license, a billing history to the address for a mobile phone, car insurance/registration history at the address)
      • proof that they have been financially dependent on you for at least the 12 months immediately before you lodge your application (for example, evidence of whatever income they receive, a statement for their bank account for the last 12 months, statutory declarations from independent third parties known to the family, a statutory declaration from the applicant as to the nature of the relationship)
    • If relevant, a copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:
      • family register document
      • identification document issued by the government.

    Custody of children

    If you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child’s other parent is not included in the application: documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia, such as:

    If you use Form 1229 or a statutory declaration, you will have to attach a copy of the other parent’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or drivers licence) with their photograph and signature.

    Documents regarding health insurance

    You must provide evidence of adequate health insurance for the duration of your stay in Australia, such as:

    • a certification letter from your health insurer or broker
    • evidence that you have enrolled with Medicare if your country has a reciprocal health arrangement with Australia (New Zealand and Republic of Ireland passport holders only need to provide the biodata page of their passport to satisfy this requirement)
    • the health insurance standard template letter (106 KB RTF file) completed by your insurance provider.

    Attachment A of the health insurance standard template letter is a guide to the level of health insurance you need.

    Additional requirements for certain applicants in Australia when applying

    If you are in Australia when you make this application and you do not hold a current visa, or you hold a Bridging visa, additional requirements apply.

    Your visa can only be granted if there are factors beyond your control which caused you not to be the holder of a visa and there are compelling reasons to grant the visa.

    You need to attach a submission to your application detailing the factors that caused you not to hold a visa and why these factors were beyond your control, and what the compelling reasons are for granting you a visa.

    The Health Requirement

    To lodge a complete application it is important that any necessary health assessment is finalised prior to lodging your application. Information on whether a health assessment is required is available.
    See:Health examinations.

    Please ensure you consider both your and your dependants intentions to work and study in Australia carefully when determining whether health assessments are required. Otherwise additional health assessment might be requested which will delay the processing of your application. If a health assessment is required, please complete the My Health Declarations (MHD) form. By following the content of the website you will be able to download an ‘eMedical’ referral letter.

    We are progressively implementing electronic health processing for all health processing. Where electronic health processing is available, the ‘eMedical’ referral letter should be taken to the medical appointment. See electronic health processing for locations where electronic health processing is available.

    In those locations where electronic health processing is not yet available, you can still undertake health processing before application lodgement, but you must take both the “eMedical” referral letter and a print out of the MHD form with you to your appointment.

This information is taken from www.border.gov.au , please visit the website for more information.



Post A Comment